Sunday, June 12, 2011

Evolution of Friendship

Yesterday, my husband and I had our first BBQ in our new home with longtime friends and family.  One of my dearest friends was visiting from out-of-town, so it seemed like an ideal time to bring everyone together.  Not sure if it's my upbringing, but I've always enjoyed hosting a get together.  Even when I was in and shortly out of college and me and friends were still having keg parties, I would get enjoyment out of planning a little something more.  How can you have keg party without food? I'm sure no one even noticed the minor addition of food, but for me planning and then pulling off any type of party was right in my comfort zone.

Now, parties for me include a lot more food, more sober friends, and a time to see everyone at one time which doesn't happen often enough. My beautiful girlfriends have evolved into amazing strong women, in their careers, relationships and also motherhood.  Their personalities, which I was drawn to years ago, are truly the core of who they are.  Our paths have may have taken us in different directions but you don't lose that connection you have with someone.  I will always complain that I don't get to see my friends enough, but really I know that if I needed any one of them, they would be there in a second.  How great is that?!

Before I wrap this up, I wanted to share the recipe for one of the dishes I made for yesterday's party.  Please keep in mind, that when I put recipes up, I encourage you to play with them. I don't think I've cooked using a recipe and have not digressed.  It's important to add your personality to every meal you make. 

Quinoa, Corn and Edamame Salad
taken from Martha Rose Shulman but modified quite a bit


 Salad Ingredients:
  • 1 cup cooked quinoa
  • 1 small can of sweet corn
  • 1 small red onion, diced
  • 2 celery stalks, chopped
  • 2 radishes, sliced
  • 1/2 cup low-fat feta, crumbled
  • 1 cup edamame, fresh or thawed frozen
  • 1/2 jalepeno, minced
Dressing Ingredients:
  • 1 tsp of chopped garlic
  • 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 med lime juice
  • salt and pepper to taste
Combine all the salad ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk together the dressing ingredients and toss into the salad. Serve immediately or refrigerate for several hours before hand.




2 comments:

  1. I really wish is had the hostess gene. I have anxiety prepping. Okay, maybe anxiety is a bit strong, It just always feels like so much work. But once guests are here, I do enjoy it.

    I love your recipe. Perfect light (but hearty) summer dish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks and I definitely can relate to some form of anxiety as I was up yesterday morning at 3:30am making potato salad because I had never attempted it before :)

    ReplyDelete