Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Stop and Smell the Roses

When I first tried blogging a couple of years ago, I felt the need to only provide recipes and health related tips. This is truly not the holistic approach I believe in and know you that all our dieting, health issues, etc are tied to the very core of ourselves. My goal is to share my experiences both personally and professionally and hope you can walk away finding the healthy side of yourself.

When I was in High School, I worked for a family friend's florist business and not until recently did I truly appreciate the life and energy that engulfed that shop.  We would watch our daily ABC soaps, laugh as we sat around and ate lunch and of course bitched and moaned as Valentine's Day approached. By the time V-Day was over, the sight of a single red rose may send you over the deep end.

As the years gone by, I continued my appreciation for plants and flowers but apartment living didn't lend itself to anything beyond some cut flowers in vase. Recently, I purchased my first home and feel extremely fortunate to have found a place where the previous owners took great pride and joy in gardening.  We moved in at the end of April and by mid May the yard was blossoming with the Spring blooms.  As the roses started to bud, I was brought back to my days at Louis Florist and was consumed with gratitude. 



I can now remember walking around the florist watering all those plants and the pleasure it brought to me. How lucky am I that I now have those feelings in my own front yard? I only hope I can keep these flowers blooming year after year and maybe one day years from now I can pass them along to someone else who will find the pleasure I now have found.

What simple things in life bring you pleasure? 

1 comment:

  1. You've taken me down memory lane. I worked at a bookstore from the time I was 18 - 22. I loved that job because I loved being surrounded by books. I imagine that love of books is why, despite my love of the Kindle, I still like to have books in my home.

    The blooms are lovely!

    ReplyDelete